Ummm….exsqueeze me, whatcha drinkin?
If you know me at all, you know how much I love kombucha. If we have talked more than a couple of times, I have probably offered you some. Then you look at me with those, “ain’t NO way” eyes! I try to convince you that you will probably like it and really you just have to try it. Then, I tell you of its fantastical benefits to turn you into all that you ever hoped you could be, you just need to drink the juice. More blank stares. More “not on your life” looks. And still more “I don’t trust you” looks. Well, your loss and my gain. I really didn’t want to share anyway. 🙂
Nah…the kombucha love has begun to spread out reaching folks I didn’t even think would give it a second glance (here’s looking at you TiKi). I know some are still interested, intrigued, bumfuzzled to its benefits and possibly want in on the action. So, here are the top 3 reasons I love this magical elixir.
- Digestive benefits and increased immune function – The natural occurring probiotics help to increase your gut flora (think more good guys than bad guys in your gut) which benefits the processes that happen inside. The good guys will fight the bad guys and win more! 🙂 Good bacteria will help detoxify your liver allowing digestion to happen easier as well.
- Energy boost – It’s my 2 o’clock drink. If I start feeling my world get saggy, then I know it’s time to bust out the kombucha and things will start to perk up again. Kombucha is rich in B vitamins especially B-12 which gives you a nice, natural energy boost. Plus, the detoxifying benefits allow your body to function with less strain on your system therefore giving you energy.
- Rich in vitamins, enzymes and minerals – It’s like drinking your daily vitamin. The sugar that you feed will be remade into organic acids that keep your blood sugar low therefore making it low glycemic and anti-inflammatory.
I will say, the research isn’t there yet. Some would say the benefits are clear as kombucha has been around for thousands of years. But, the western scientific research community might be afraid to really research it. I mean, what if this incredibly cheap drink (to make) could help people heal lots of issues and allow them to get off certain medications. Hmmm, might be bad for PR, ya know. 😉
I do want to provide some further reading, just to have full disclosure. Here are a couple of articles that were written about kombucha. You decide for yourself. And let me know if you want in on the goodness.
And now….for you, I have prepared a song. Think Gloria Estefan, Conga and let the rhythm get ya.
Come on, shake your body baby, drink kombucha
I know you can’t control yourself any longer
Feel the goodness of the scoby makin ya stronger
Don’t you fight it ’til you tried it, do the ‘bucha beat
- 16-20 oz. freshly brewed kombucha
- juice of 1 lime (if you don’t love lime so much, just so half the lime)
- 1 TBS. freshly grated ginger (I keep my ginger in the freezer and then just grate it on a microplane (http://us.microplane.com/microplaneclassicserieszestergrater.aspx.aspx)
- 2-3 mint leaves
Juice the lime into a glass. Add the grated ginger and mint leaves. Muddle together (so fancy right?). Add ice to the glass and then pour the kombucha in. Enjoy!!